1. Three minutes, or even just a split second can take pages to describe. Or a day can be done in a line.
2. There’s material in every breath.
3. You get to take things that have happened to you and try them out with alternative endings. Real fact of life is really just a suggestion.
4. Research. It’s a great excuse to do all sorts of crazy shit you would otherwise never get away with. Forget to change your top for four days while you were writing? Research for a character. Slept with a 24-year-old by accident? Research for a character. Ate KFC? Research for a character.
5. Someone bothering you? Write them in and give them either greasy hair, strange sexual tendencies, an odd smell, or a violently bizarre and gruesome (yet somehow deeply satisfying) death.
I’m on the hunt for more reasons to love fiction. Please feel free to add your own.